Friday, August 5, 2011

Corn Salsa



I saw this recipe the other day & decided to give it a try for our food day today. How do you like my picture? You guessed it - I forgot to get a picture of it until it was sitting on my desk waiting to be consumed! So obviously, the picture doesn't do it justice but it really is yummy! You will be glad you tried it.


Corn Salsa -


1 can white shoepeg corn (drain)
1/2 can yellow corn (drain)
1 can chopped green chiles
1 can black beans (drain and rinse)
2 cans rotel (drain most, but add about 1 tbs. of juice) juice of 1 lemon
1 bunch of green onions
1 head of cilantro (except for stems)
3 or 4 shakes of lemon pepper
drizzle of olive oil
Mix and enjoy!


This was the first time I've ever worked with fresh cilantro so I just broke off a couple of "springs" from the bunch & added them. I guess you can add as much as you like.


Here are some variations I thought you might enjoy instead of or along with:


Add chopped avocado (I am doing this next time!)

Use Italian-style tomatoes rather than rotel

I do not like celery or bell peppers but those are other additions

Chopped red onion rather than green onions

Taco Seasoning or even Cumin for seasoning. I actually did not use lemon pepper in mine - I used Paula Dean's House Seasoning that includes black pepper, onion powder & garlic powder. I also added a little sugar to mine and think it turned out wonderfully!


I say brave it out and add mango to it too sometime. What would you change up about this?

No comments:

Post a Comment