Friday, August 19, 2011

Brown Sugar Meatloaf

I made Brown Sugar Meatloaf for supper last night. I am not a fan of bell peppers - red, yellow or green - raw or cooked but I am a fan of meatloaf! Many years ago, Mother gave me a recipe book she bought from the First Baptist Church in Nashville that I've used over and over and over for many meals; one of them being meatloaf. The one in this book has a glaze made up of ketchup, mustard, brown sugar & vinegar that you pour over the loaf before baking. I made it one time for my Mamaw & Papaw Hicks and it quickly became our favorite. I've made it that way for many years but sometimes, a little change up doesn't hurt.
More recently, I found a recipe for Hawaiian Meatloaf (find recipe here) that includes pineapples and let me tell you, it's out of this world!! (You won't regret visiting her entire blog either!)
As I was going through some of my recipes yesterday, I found this recipe for Brown Sugar Meatloaf and will add this to my top meatloaf recipes!

Brown Sugar Meatloaf
1/2 c packed brown sugar
1/2 c ketchup
1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
3/4 c milk
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 small onion, chopped
1/4 tsp ground ginger
3/4 c finely crushed saltine cracker crumbs (about 10 crackers)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 5x9 loaf pan.
Press the brown sugar into the bottom of pan & spread with ketsup.

(Here's what I used & what it looked like when I packed in the brown sugar)

In a mixing bowl, thoroughly mix all remaining ingredients and shape into a loaf.
Place loaf on top of ketchup.
Bake for 1 hour or until juices run clear.

I topped mine with ketchup right before it was completely done & stuck it back in the oven to finish up. I didn't shape into a loaf because I like mine spread-out evenly.

I made twice baked mashed potatoes, green beans & rolls to go along with this very tasty dish!

Know what I look forward to? Meatloaf sandwiches! YUM-O!

Tell me, how do you like your meatloaf?

No comments:

Post a Comment