Monday, June 7, 2010

That Sauce














I am hesitant on calling it a seafood sauce or maybe it should be just a cream sauce...for now, I'll call it...That Sauce. It is a very versatile sauce can be coupled with just about anything. The original sauce calls for crabmeat with rockfish or striped bass fillets. Well, I used crawfish tails and combined it with pork chops. I think it would be good to use shrimp (or crabmeat or scallops) on top of steaks!
I served corn on the cob, twice-baked mashed potatoes and Hawaiian rolls. I think the side items will vary depending on your meat choice. We ended up dipping our rolls in the sauce and even placing it over our potatoes. I think the fish would be awesome served over rice with this sauce. Endless possibilities!!!
The original recipe calls for 1 ½ lbs rockfish or striped bass fillets but I used 8 center cut pork chops and there was PLENTY of sauce! I prepared the pork chops by coating them with flour that I seasoned with “Slap Ya Momma” Cajun seasoning, Garlic pepper & Cayenne pepper.

On to the sauce…
2 ½ tsps McCormick Old Bay with Garlic & Herb Seasoning, divided. (I omitted this since I had seasoned my flour)
3 Tbsp butter, divided (I used butter flavored Crisco)
2 Tbsp white wine (I used white wine cooking sauce)
1 green onion, finely chopped
1 c heavy cream
2 tsp Dijon mustard (I used horseradish Dijon mustard)
8 oz backfin or lump crabmeat (I used crawfish tail – can be purchased in the frozen section at Wal-Mart with the other frozen seafood items) & I added some Cajun seasoning to the tails

Heat large skillet on medium-high heat 3 minutes. (I used my electric skillet) Melt 2 Tbsp butter in skillet. Place pork-chop or fish in skillet. Cook until both sides are browned and when meat is done, remove from skillet; keep warm. Reduce heat to medium.

Stir wine into skillet, scraping bottom to loosen browned bits. Add remaining butter and green onions; cook and stir 1 minute. Gradually stir in cream. (Because I used butter flavored Crisco, there was not a need for me to add more butter.)

Stir in mustard and remaining Old Bay with Garlic & Herb Seasoning. (Again, I omitted this step since my pork chops & crawfish meat was seasoned) Simmer 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in crabmeat (or crawfish, shrimp, scallops, etc…). The original recipe suggests to return the “fish” back to the skillet & cook 3 minutes longer until fish flakes easily with a fork. Because I used pork chops, I cooked the sauce about 3 minutes after I added my crawfish and then used a ladle to top my pork chops on the holding platter!

In case you are wondering about the potatoes… I used the bagged potatoes that you stick in the microwave for 10 minutes and added a little cream cheese, green onions, garlic & shredded cheese and done! Talk about DELISH!

No comments:

Post a Comment