Sunday, May 24, 2009

Hash Brown Quiche

I found this recipe for Hash Brown Quiche on Mimi's Making Meals and made it for our church potluck tonight. They turned out beautifully & were both delicious! So different than your traditional pie crust quiche.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
3 c frozen shredded hash browns, thawed & drained
1/2 stick of butter, melted

Press the drained hashbrowns between paper towels to dry them. Add melted butter to the hashbrowns & mix well. Press the hashbrowns into the bottom & sides of a 9 inch pie plate to form a crust. Bake for approximately 25-30 minutes or until the hashbrowns are golden brown & starting to get crispy.

3 large eggs, beaten
1 c half & half
1 can Hormel canned ham
1/2 c chopped onion
1/8 tsp red pepper
1 c shredded Cheddar cheese
Salt & Pepper to taste

In a large mixing bowl, combine the half & half, eggs & chopped ham. Add chopped onion, red pepper & shredded cheese; stir to combine. Pour egg mixture into hashbrown crust & return to the oven.
Lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake for approximately 30 minutes or until the quiche is golden brown & a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. The top of the quiche will be slightly puffed up.

MODIFICATIONS:
I used deli sliced ham & chopped into small pieces. I used green onions rather than yellow or white onion. And lastly, I used mozzarella cheese rather than Cheddar.

I made another quiche using sausage & Cheddar cheese. While my crust was cooking, I cut up 1 yellow onion & added to sausage while browning. I then combined the sausage & egg mixture and poured into my crust.

This really can be made with any combination. I think spinach would even be a good add in to the recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment